Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kindness Kind People Kindly Note is Not Always Kind

Something was going in my mind since a long time. But, I got a chance to write today because due to some fault in it, TV at my home has not been working since past two days. Also, I’m now free from the college things and as far as my new office is concerned, it’s a Sunday holiday for me. Writing needs sincerity and deliberation. Though I’m an amateur writer but, since I was editing my college newsletter till sometime back; I feel that it’s a great responsibility on any writer who wants to share his/her work with others. I was free enough to take that responsibility today. Other than that, something happened last week which strengthened the thoughts which had originated and were getting flourished in my mind. Read on.

My father went to meet his friend at his place. My uncle (my father’s friend) is a very kind- hearted and a noble person. He is practicing Yoga since past five years. Now, he also teaches Yoga and it is his part-time but, a prominent activity. My Uncle happened to visit a municipality school in a nearby locality for teaching Yoga there to school kids. When he met my father he narrated his experience and expressed his feelings. He told my father “students in municipal schools come in ragged uniforms; nobody looks at it, and this makes me feel very sad.” My father said “you are right and I understand your feelings but the fact remains that economic classes from which the students go to the municipal schools, it more important to see that they go to school, leave the uniform aside.” Then he told his experience of the Yoga class, “I asked the children in the school to raise their hands if they drink milk daily and I was surprised to see that they were very few hands up. On the contrary when I asked if students drink tea, there were majority hands up. I explained to the kids that tea is bad for health and they should drink cow’s milk every day.” He was seeking appreciation from my father but to his dismay my father said something else. “Do you know how much fee do the students pay in that school?”. He said, “It must be less than hundred for a month.” My father said, “Then do you think that their families would afford to provide milk to them; they were taking little amount of it in tea and you asked them not to take even that.” Uncle, little disheartened now tried to counter argue by questioning “Jain sahib what education the students get in municipal schools? What is so great about it? You don’t know when I went there I saw teachers scolding kids, punishing them. I felt very bad for the kids. I have decided, making a declaration he said, from now onwards I’ll go and teach to them in my free hours. I want you to come along. And I have also decided to assist at least one student financially for his education.” He further said making an indication towards my father, “I’ll also ask my some friends to adopt one such student.” With this Uncle had almost finished. Now, my father’s turn; he told uncle, “That’s a very noble idea of supporting an underprivileged student. I’m already doing that for an orphan child in MP and I would further like to do that for a deserving student without coming in the view of the student or others. But, as far as coming to teach the municipal school students is concerned, I don’t think that we should take up the work of teachers in our hands. It is not our job; it is someone else's job. When you saw a teacher scolding kids, did you try to understand at the teacher’s place? How much do you think the teacher there would be getting paid? Do you know the other work of elections and census surveys are given to them? What you should also think of doing is, motivating the teachers there to teach in a better way. They can reach to larger number of students than us. Giving a small gift like a pen or a book to the teachers in these schools would be great gesture to begin with. You can then organize a training camp for teachers.”

My father told me about this whole conversation with uncle. Then I thought over again about the bug that was biting me in my mind since a long time. Sometimes, we try to become so kind that we tend to look at problems from surface and not from the deep inside. And we end up doing wrong things or things with unmeasured results. We don’t uproot the disease but try to cure the symptoms. Many of my friends are associated with apparently a noble cause where they go to teach English to school kids in municipal schools. My question to them is if they have ever analysed the need to teach the municipal school students English? Students in these schools are children of mostly labourers. By teaching English are we trying show them the dreams of becoming “doctors and engineers”? Maid who works at my place has three children, two out them dropped out of the school after 4th or 5th Standard. Third kid is very small right now. But, he also seems to have the same future. All her three children would end up becoming labourer like her. We have no right to show them a dream that will shatter just because we want to show a kind gesture towards the underprivileged people. And if at all we want to do something, we should guide them towards a right path. Government launched a Skill Development Scheme in 2008. They have more than 40 courses in vocational training. We can give an orientation to kids in municipal schools, their parents, their teachers about these courses and mind it, not in English but, in the local language. We can finance their vocational trainings also. Because, the fact is that we cannot improve the lives of this generation which studies in the municipal schools. I feel sad about their conditions, about the fact that they are not very blessed. But, we should think about a broader, long term, strategic solution. If these students get trained in the vocational courses after their elementary education, they might not get in position as god as a “Doctor and Engineer” but, certainly their next generation would be.

My aim is not to discourage good work from happening. I’m sure all the kind-hearted people would be kind enough to take my criticism positively and would come up with better thoughts.

Being kind is not enough; kindness should be for a right cause and in a right direction. All we need to be doing is ANALYSIS.

8 comments:

  1. First of all I would like to correct you, your friends were not going to teach the municipality school children but they were acting as a link between the corporate employees and the school. The employees of various corporate were borrowing some time from their day to day activities to go and teach the underprivileged students and spend some time with them! Secondly, I disagree with your thoughts of not letting them see the dreams of becoming doctors or engineers. Just coming from a economically weak section does not mean that they cant learn English of they cant become doctors and engineers! There are many such examples of the students, one of the example is: a boy from Dharavi (one of the largest slum in Asia) with his intelligence and hard work was the in top 3 in the UPSC exam few years back, and is an IAS Officer now. For your kind information his father is laborer. Most of the achievers in India came from an underprivileged background and one of the examples is of Dr R.A Mashelkar. The moral of the story: where there is a will there is a way (despite of the economic condition).

    But I truly support your other idea of adopting a underprivileged child and support his education. And not taking the job of teachers in our hands, rather motivate and arrange training of the teachers themselves. I think English is a very important language to climb the ladder but it is seldom taught in a correct way. So the teacher should actually be trained to teach the language in a correct way so that the students not only learn but learn it with interest. I also agree that we should guide them to choose the right path by knowing their interests! Some may be interested in mechanical things, some in sports, some in science even in electronics. Vocational training is a very good option for many of the students.

    Too much analysis leads to paralysis!
    These are my thoughts but I do agree with many of the ideas which you have spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting this kind of reaction. Because, it's difficult to understand the matter from depth. I have not said that no student from economically weaker secion can not come up. But such students are very less. Identifying such students is important, I agree completely. But, see the larger picture. What is in the larger interest? Scientist like Mashelkar have inspiring stories, I'm also his fan.But, it was his achievemnet motivation that led him to success. I have never said that students in these schools should be discouraged from taking up higher education or becoming doctor/ engineer. But, important is to first encourage them to come to school. Impoartant is to see that they don't drop out from schools. They don't end up doing what their parents are doing. They do something better than their parents. Today,my maids children would not have dropped out of schools had they have been motivated to take some voctional course. Students get better motivation at schools than they can get through any one else.

    Too much analysis leads paralysis. But, no analysis leads to nothing at all but, wastage of time, energy and other resources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we want to invest our money somewhere, and we have less knowledge, we go to wealth managers or we buy mutual funds, so that we get good return...similarly, we all have kind feeling about others, we want to do something for others but we don't have the enough capacity, in such cases do you think it is appropraite do something out of feelings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think teaching english is not the cause of showing dreams of Doctors/Engineers. English is soon going to be an inevitable learning. I think completing school is not so important than learning something. I mean school is not the only please we learn rather now is the time when there are so many options available for learning and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first of all good to see u thinking and sharing.

    I totally agree with the thought that you have discussed. I can give you many examples similiar to your's, where the so-called 'act of kindness' is nothing but a mere tool of self gratification for the have's of the society.
    You cant take lotuses out of mud saying that 'lets give this beautiful flowers a better environment'; if we do that we actually end up killing a species.
    Having said that positive and developmental interventions should take place, those who have should share their knwledge and wealth with the have nots...but with an objective of making them sustainable and not just to gratify ones own self.
    some thumb rules that i follow :
    1 - never gift tangible/material thing to the underpriviledge. (dats not kindness, dats foolishness)
    2 - never publicize or never be part of activities which publicize the act and not the thought.
    3 - dont try to become god.(most ngo's try n do dat)
    4 - focus on urself, theres a lot of attention and help that our own selves need. If we make optimum utilisation of what is provided to us (wealth or knowledge), that in my opinion is the greatest service to mankind.
    Rest all is time pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @siddartha: I agree, english is inevitable, But do you think that those students who don't even get a one time healthy meal need to be taught English to make their life better?

    @mihir: I think your thumb rules should be followed by every one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. while searching for the data of dropout rates and its reasons in India i came across the following link... http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/3478.html this topic is very much debatable! but this article can validate some of your points.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks bhushan bhaiya...i read it...it was great to know that some people are already working on such model...others should also read it...

    ReplyDelete